Here is a video of Drake in concert responding to Lil Kim about her wanting Nicki Minaj to pay homage to her. Now this may be a publicity stunt to draw more attention to Lil Kim who has recently signed a record deal with Roc Nation. However, as I reflect on Lil Kim’s career, she never has been the type to start beef to garner more attention towards herself by creating beef with another artist because she never needed to. Lil Kim is probably one of the few female artists who has never struggled to sale albums or create hype for an upcoming project. If there is one thing I have learned about Lil Kim over the years is that she does not like to be disrespected, and it is then that she goes at other artists. (i.e. Foxy Brown)
But I digress. The problem I have with Drake’s outburst against Lil Kim is his lack of respect for this female icon. I seriously had a “Who are you?” moment when I watched this video.
First this had nothing to do with Drake, so why he felt like he had to be Nicki’s Knight in shining armour, I am not sure. He claims that Nicki is better than Lil Kim. GTFOH. Fan of a Fan Mixtape > Thank Me Later.Second, Nicki can’t keep hiding behind “Young Money walls” and avoiding beef when other female MC’s come at her. Eventually, she is going to have to stand up for herself and prove herself as a rapper. Right now people consider her the hottest female in the rap industry and the “savior” for female rappers. However, it is easy to look like you are the hottest MC when you have no competition. When Keys came at Nicki with her diss, Nicki went on youtube all sad and you could tell that her feelings were hurt. Her only response was, I am going to ignore you and never say your name. But you took the time to make a whole video. Humph, Bitch move.
Sunday, 6 June 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment